Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Peppermint Scented Salt Dough Ornaments & A Stocking for Ella
Inspired by the blog 3G = Growing Godly Girlz we made peppermint scented salt dough ornaments yesterday with a friend and her daughter. :) Today we painted them. :)
Scented Salt Dough Recipe:
* 4 cups flour
* 1 cup salt
* 1 -1/2 cups hot water (tap water)
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)
* few drops of scented oil (we used a food grade peppermint oil to make them smell yummy)
* Combine the salt and flour in a mixing bowl
* Gradually add the water until the dough becomes elastic
* Add the vegetable oil
If your dough is too sticky, add more flour, if too crumbly add more water.
Once you've got your dough at a consistency you can work with, bring on the rolling pins, straws (to cut the circle to later hang them from using a ribbon or ornament hook), and cookie cutters.
For colored dough you add food coloring, Kool-Aid, or paint into the water before adding it to the dry ingredients. Or you can paint your ornaments after they have dried (either air dried or baked at 200 degrees F). Painted ornaments will need to be sealed with clear varnish.
Tonight Ella wanted me to make her a Christmas stocking. So she picked out her favorite fabrics and helped me make it. This is what we ended up with....