Thursday, January 1, 2009

Grow Your Own Sprouts


I love sprouts. They are very nutritious and delicious. I add them to the tops of my salads, stuffed in pita pockets along w/some shredded cheese, black beans, veggies, lettuce, and a little salad dressing, in sandwiches, or in stir fry. Gwen (who is my super picky eater) even likes them dipped in ranch dressing. :)

Growing your own sprouts is very easy and inexpensive. All you need are some untreated sprouting seeds (you can find them at almost any health food store), a clean canning jar, a small bowl or tray to rest the jar in, and a lid to strain the water out. You can buy a plastic strainer lid that fits onto your glass canning jar especially for growing sprouts (I found mine at a health food store for a few dollars) or you can make your own from a small piece of cheesecloth and a rubber band or a small piece of wire mesh and a canning ring (I've even used a small piece of cut out pantyhose and a rubberband it worked just fine). Here is a list of detailed instructions on growing sprouts at home complete with little drawings:
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/sprouts.htm

Enjoy!



Mmmmmmmmm!

No comments: